It takes 4 digits to get rewarding.
If you have a credit card or have applied for one recently, you may know that credit cards come with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to safeguard your transactions. This PIN is only known to you to ensure security while accessing your bank account. Your credit card PIN consists of 4 digits and is often provided by the bank. This predetermined PIN given by the bank can be difficult to memorise and hence, HDFC Bank allows you to generate or change your credit card PIN for your ease. Read the article to know how to generate/change your HDFC credit card PIN along with tips on keeping the PIN safe.
How do I generate my HDFC Credit Card PIN?
Here are two methods that can be used to generate your credit card PIN:
Generate HDFC Credit Card PIN via ATM
You can generate your credit card PIN by visiting an HDFC ATM. Follow the step-by-step instructions to understand how to generate HDFC credit card PIN:
- Call the HDFC PhoneBanking system to get a One Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number. This OTP will help in generation of credit card PIN
- Insert your card in the card slot and choose a language that you prefer.
- Select ‘Create New PIN Using OTP’ and enter your registered 10-digit mobile number
- Enter the OTP sent on your mobile number
- You will then be asked to type in a 4-digit PIN of your choice
- After re-typing the 4 digit PIN, you will receive a message from HDFC confirming your credit card PIN
Generate HDFC Credit Card PIN via Net Banking
You can also use net banking to generate an HDFC credit card PIN. Follow these steps to generate your HDFC credit card PIN via net banking:
- Log in into your net banking account
- Select Credit Card > Credit Card ATM PIN
- Select your credit card from the options given and click on ‘Continue’
- A confirmation message will be displayed on your screen for a successful transaction
- The new credit card PIN will be sent on your registered mailing address by HDFC bank
How do I change my HDFC Credit Card PIN?
Here are the two methods that you can use to change your HDFC credit card PIN:
Change HDFC Credit Card PIN via ATM
Your HDFC credit card PIN can be only changed at an HDFC ATM. Here is a step-by-step procedure of how you can change your PIN at an ATM:
- Insert your credit card in the card slot and choose a language that you prefer
- Enter your existing PIN and select the ‘Change’ option on the screen
- You will be asked to enter your registered mobile number where you will receive an OTP
- After entering the OTP, you can set a 4-digit PIN of your choice
- HDFC Bank will send you a message confirming the change of your existing credit card PIN
Change HDFC Credit Card PIN via Net Banking
Net Banking can also be used for changing your credit card PIN. Follow these steps below to understand how to change your HDFC credit card PIN:
- Log in to your HDFC net banking account with your registered ID and password
- Select Credit Card Option > Change PIN
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number, click on ‘Continue’ after entering the OTP
- You can then choose a 4-digit credit card PIN of your choice
- HDFC bank will send you a message confirming the change of your existing credit card PIN
Tips On How To Keep Your Credit Card PIN Safe
- Always make sure that you are alone while entering the ATM.
- Make sure to check if the card slot is intact with no dummy card readers attached to the original one. You can authenticate the card slot by lightly shaking the slot to check if it moves and seems loosely attached.
- Never share your credit card PIN with people or write it down. Make sure to not share it over emails, messages, etc.
- Choose a credit card PIN that is not obvious like your birthday, your parent’s birthday, etc. Keep it simple, yet something that cannot be guessed.
- Avoid saving your PIN details for websites where you make online transactions. Also, do not auto-save your credit card PIN on transactional websites.
- Use websites for transactions that start with ‘HTTPS’ as they are secure and safeguard your personal details.
- Change your PIN frequently as a precautionary measure and go through your account statement to check if any suspicious activity has taken place.
- Avoid using the same PIN for every card that you have. If one of your cards gets compromised, it could lead to all of the other cards getting compromised as well.
- Never share your PIN with anyone asking you for your personal details. Even if it is an employee from the bank. Also, beware of scam emails and phone calls asking you for your credit card and other personal information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I generate my credit card PIN if my card is blocked?
You will have to unblock your credit card to be able to generate/change the credit card PIN.
Does my PIN remain the same for my add-on credit card as well?
No, a different PIN will be generated for an add-on credit card.
What is a CVV number?
CVV number is a 3-digit number present at the back of your credit card. It is required during an online transaction for verification.
What should I do if my credit card gets lost or stolen?
You should block your credit card immediately by contacting the HDFC customer care.