Safety is 4 digits away.
If you have a credit card or have applied for one recently, you may know that credit cards come with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to safeguard your transactions. This PIN is only known to you to ensure security while accessing your bank account. Your credit card PIN consists of 4 digits and is often provided by the bank. This predetermined PIN given by the bank can be difficult to memorise and hence, Citibank allows you to generate your credit card PIN and change it for your ease. Read the article to know how to generate your Citibank credit card PIN along with quick tips on keeping your PIN safe.
Generating Your Citibank Credit Card PIN
Here are two methods that can be used to generate your credit card PIN:
How to Generate Citibank Credit Card PIN via ATM
You can generate your credit card PIN by visiting only a Citibank ATM. Follow the step-by-step instructions to understand how to generate Citibank credit card PIN:
- Insert your credit card in the card slot and choose a language that you prefer.
- Input your credit card number and date of birth in DD / MM / YYYY format.
- You will receive a One Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number.
- Enter a new 4-digit PIN of your choice and Citibank will send you a confirmation message for the change of PIN.
How to Generate Citibank Credit Card PIN via Internet Banking
You can also generate your credit card PIN through your internet banking account by following the steps below:
- Log in to your Citi internet banking account.
- Select Credit Card > Change PIN.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and choose a new 4-digit PIN of your choice.
- Citibank will send you a confirmation message for the change of PIN.
Tips On How To Keep Your Credit Card PIN Safe
- Always make sure that you are alone while entering the ATM
Make sure to check if the card slot is intact with no dummy card readers attached to the original one. You can authenticate the card slot by lightly shaking the slot to check if it moves and seems loosely attached.
- Never share your credit card PIN with people or write it down. Make sure to not share it over emails, messages, etc.
Choose a credit card PIN that is not obvious like your birthday, your parent’s birthday, etc. Keep it simple, yet something that cannot be guessed.
- Avoid saving your PIN details for websites where you make online transactions. Also, do not auto-save your credit card PIN on transactional websites.
- Use websites for transactions that start with ‘HTTPS’ as they are secure and safeguard your personal details.
Change your PIN frequently as a precautionary measure and go through your account statement to check if any suspicious activity has taken place.
- Avoid using the same PIN for every card that you have. If one of your cards gets compromised, it could lead to all of the other cards getting compromised as well.
- Never share your PIN with anyone asking you for your personal details. Even if it is an employee from the bank. Also, beware of scam emails and phone calls asking you for your credit card and other personal information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I generate my credit card PIN if my card is blocked?
You will have to unblock your credit card to be able to change the credit card PIN.
What is a CVV number?
CVV number is a 3-digit number present on the backside of your credit card. It is required during an online transaction for verification.
What should I do if my credit card gets lost or is stolen?
You should block your credit card immediately by contacting the Citibank customer care.