The American Express Platinum Travel Card is a traveller’s best friend. Accepted worldwide, this card provides you with a wide range of travel benefits and privileges. In addition to travel vouchers and complimentary airport lounge access, you also get fuel and dining offers.
If this sounds like a card that you’d like to have, we’ve got you covered on all it’s features, benefits, charges and criteria for application.
Features and benefits on the Amex Platinum Credit Card
|Welcome Gift||Welcome gift of 5,000 milestone bonus membership rewards points redeemable for travel vouchers worth INR 4,000|
|Savings on Travel||Discounts on travel bookings made on makemytrip.com|
|Airport Lounges||4 complimentary visits per year (limited to one complimentary visit per quarter) to 11 airport lounges across India|
|Travel Vouchers||Spend INR 1.90 Lakhs in a year and get travel vouchers worth more INR 7,700|
Spend INR 4 Lakhs in a year and get travel vouchers worth INR 11,800
|Fuel||0% convenience fee on fueling up at HPCL|
|Diner||Enjoy up to 20% discount at select premium restaurants|
|Easy EMI||Turn purchases above INR 5,000 into EMI payments|
How do I apply for the American Express Platinum Travel card?
- Go to americanexpress.com and click on Personal Credit Cards > American Express Platinum Travel Card > Apply Now.
- Fill the application form wherever the field is marked as mandatory.
- Make sure you have filled the ‘About You’ and ‘Your Finances and Additional info’ section.
- Review your details in the ‘Review and Submit’ section. Once you are convinced, click ‘Submit’.
- The bank will then verify your details and approve/reject your application based on the eligibility criteria.
- After you have applied for the credit card, you can also track your American Express application status online or get in touch with the American Express customer care.
- You also have the option of applying for the Platinum Travel Credit Card by visiting the nearest branch of American Express Bank.
How do I check if I am eligible for the AMEX Travel Credit Card?
To qualify for the American Express Platinum Travel Card, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- Minimum age to qualify is 18 years and above
- Must have Indian or multinational bank’s savings or current account in India
- Good credit history and no payment defaults
- Personal annual income of INR 6 Lakhs or above (for both salaried and self-employed)
- Permanent Residential address in select cities (provided in the FAQ section below) in India
- If self-employed, the company must have been trading for more than 12 months
What documents do I submit?
- KYC documents such as PAN, ID Proof and address proof
- One recent photograph
- Form 16 or Salary slip
American Express Platinum Travel Card: Fees and charges
|Type of Charge||Amount|
|Annual Fee (First Year)||INR 3500 plus applicable taxes|
|Renewal Few||INR 5000 plus applicable taxes|
|Interest Charges||3.35% per month and 40.2% per annum|
|Interest-Free Period||Up to 48 days|
|Supplementary Card Fee||INR 1500|
|Cash Withdrawal Limit||– INR 25,000 every 14 days|
– 20% of credit limit
|Overlimit Charge||INR 500|
|Cash Advance Fees||3.5% subject to a minimum of INR 250|
|Foreign Currency Transaction Charge||3.5%|
|Air Miles Redemption Fee||INR 250|
|Miles Reinstatement Fee||INR 200|
Convenience Fee on Fuel Purchase
|– 0% for HPCL transaction less than INR 25,000|
– 0.3% fee per transaction is applicable for all HPCL transactions on and above INR 25,000
– 1% of the transaction value subject to a minimum of INR 10 + applicable taxes at fuel stations operated by the Public Sector Oil Marketing companies like BPCL and IOCL
– 2.5% of the transaction value subject to a minimum of INR 10 + applicable taxes at fuel stations of all other oil marketing companies (except HPCL, BPCL and IOCL)
Convenience Fee on Electricity, Gas, and Water Bill Payments
|– INR 50 per transaction is applicable for all transactions up to INR 15,000|
– INR 100 per transaction is applicable for payment of INR 15,001 to INR 1,00,000
– 1.95% per transaction is applicable for payment above INR 1,00,000
|Surcharge on Purchase of Railway Ticket||1.8% of the transaction value if booked on the internet (IRCTC) subject to a minimum of INR 10|
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What are the cities in India that I have to be a legal resident of in order to qualify for this card?
Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi/NCR, Ernakulam, Goa, Guntur, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanchipuram, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune, Surat, Vadodara, Vijaywada, and Vizag.
Will I get my welcome gift as soon as the card is issued to me?
The welcome gift is available only in the 1st year on payment of the annual fee and on spending INR 5,000 within 60 days of card membership.
How so I avail the EMI facility?
You can avail the EMI facility for purchases greater than INR 5,000 within 21 days of the purchase. There are three ways you can enrol yourself:
- SMS ‘EMI’ to 5616166
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the 24-hour customer service number at the back of your Card
Can I get supplementary cards?
Yes, you can get up to two supplementary cards at no extra cost.
Where can I get the details about the lounge privileges at airports in India?
You can get the details about the location of the lounges in India, the terminals, lounge names, discounts and complimentary access here.
How do I contact the customer service of American Express Platinum Travel Card?
To contact the customer service, you can dial this toll-free number 1800 419 2122 or dial 0124 280 1122.
- What Is the Meaning of Your Credit Score? - October 22, 2019
- Worried about credit card breaches? Here’s how they can affect you - October 10, 2019
- Credits cards are a double edged sword. So should you cut the cord on them? - October 7, 2019