There is something about owning a credit card that makes you feel grown-up. You may have seen your parents use it and would have been longing to get one with your name on it. Now that you have a job, it is time to make your long-standing wish come true and get yourself the best credit card in India.
Many of you might have queries regarding credit cards, like, which are the best credit cards, how do I apply for a credit card, how to improve my CIBIL score after I start using my credit card?
Today, we will address the first question. There are so many credit cards in the market, and each of them claims to be the best. How do you identify one that truly works for you and meets your requirements as a new credit card holder?
10 Best Credit Cards for Beginners
The first step is to identify where you would be using the credit card the most. You can then select a card that offers the most benefits in that area.
If you shop a lot, then it would be better to get one that offers maximum points for shopping. If you are someone who travels a lot during the year, then try to get one that offers more points for booking tickets and allows lounge access.
Here are the top 10 best credit cards for beginners in India to help you pick the right one.
True to its name, the Citibank Cash Back Credit Card offers cashback on almost every transaction. It has an annual fee of INR 500, but there is no joining fee. New cardholders also get additional savings worth INR 3,300.
- Get 5% cashback when you book movie tickets and pay telephone and utility bills.
- Get 0.5% cashback on all other transactions.
- Get 15% off on dining at partner restaurants.
- Get a 1% waiver on fuel surcharge at Indian Oil outlets.
- Cashback is credited automatically.
The Membership Rewards credit card is the perfect example of why American Express cards are the most sought after.
- It has an annual fee of INR 1,000. It also has a renewal fee of INR 4,500, which can be waived if you spend more than INR 1.5 lakhs.
- Get 4000 bonus Membership Reward Points as a welcome gift
- Get 1000 bonus Membership Reward Points on making four transactions of INR 1000 or more every month
- Get one reward point for every INR 50 spent with the exception of payment towards fuel, utilities, cash advance, and insurance.
- Get 20% off for dining at partner restaurants.
- Get 5000 reward points upon renewing the card for the second year.
While most cards offer cashback and rewards for shopping and travel spends, there are few that do so for fuel spends. This is one card that does.
- It has an annual fee of INR 750, and the renewal fee is also INR 750.
- Get 5% cashback on paying utility bills, phone recharges and on fuel spends.
- On all other expenditures, get one reward point for every INR 150 spend.
- Exclusive offers under Standard Chartered Good Life Programme.
- Get add-on credit cards free of cost.
Do the annual and renewal fee on the credit cards bother you? Then the HSBC Visa Platinum card is perfect for you.
- It has zero joining, annual and renewal fee.
- Get two reward points for every INR 150 spend on the card.
- Get 15% off for dining at partner restaurants.
- Convert air miles to book flight tickets.
- Get more rewards and offers upon spending more on the card.
If you are someone who spends in all areas and would like to be rewarded for your spending, then the HDFC Regalia credit card is just what you need.
- It has an annual fee and renewal fee of INR 2,500. The renewal fee can be waived if you spend more than INR 3 lakh in a year.
- Get 2500 reward points when you join and when you pay the renewal fee every year.
- Get 12 complimentary lounge access.
- Get four reward points on every INR 150 spent.
- Get air accidental death cover and emergency overseas hospitalisation cover.
- Multiple ways to redeem your reward points.
If you travel abroad quite often, then the HDFC Bank Diners Club Rewardz Card is perfect for you.
- It has an annual fee of INR 1,000. The fee is waived if you spend more than INR 1 lakh on the card.
- Get three reward points on every INR 150 spent on retail.
- Get 10X the reward points on international spends.
- Get airport lounge access.
- Use reward points to book flight tickets.
The SimplyCLICK SBI card offers excellent discounts and reward points.
- It has an annual fee of INR 499. The fee can be waived upon spending more than INR 1 lakh on the card.
- Get a gift voucher worth INR 500 upon joining.
- Get one reward point for every INR 100 spent on the card.
- Get five times the reward on online spends and 10X the rewards on online spends with SBI partners.
Love watching movies and shopping? Meet your soulmate in the Axis Bank Neo credit card.
It has an annual fee and joining fee of INR 250. Spend INR 2500 in the first 45 days to waive the joining fee.
- Get two reward points for every INR 200 spend on the card.
- Get a minimum of 15% off on dining at partner restaurants.
- Get 10% discount at Myntra, Akbar Travels, BookMyShow and Freecharge.
Amazon has become the go-to shopping spot for everyone’s needs. If you find yourself spending more on Amazon than anywhere else, then this is the best credit card in India for you.
- There are no joining fee or annual fee.
- Get 5% cashback on all Amazon purchases for Prime customers. The cashback becomes 3% for non-Prime members.
- Get 2% reward points for bill payments and recharges.
- Get 1% cashback on all other spends.
Do you like the high-end lifestyle? The SBI Card Elite is the perfect card to complement your luxurious lifestyle.
- It has an annual fee of INR 4,999.
- Get two reward points for every INR 10 spent on the card.
- Get five times the reward points on dining, grocery, and departmental store shopping.
- Get nine Club Vistara Points on every INR 100 spent on Vistara flights.
Get the Best Credit Cards for Beginners in India
A credit card is a great way to build and maintain your credit score. If you use it judiciously, it can become your best friend and help you manage your finances better. Today, it is also easy to pay credit card bills online. If you are thinking of obtaining a credit card, make a choice from this list and watch as you save more on your expenses.